Thursday, November 25, 2010

Crustless Pumpkin Pie

I first enjoyed a crustless pumpkin pie on our last Thanksgiving in Florida.  I'd never heard of it until my girlfriend, Michelle, brought it to our Thanksgiving dinner.

This year I'm in charge of making the pumpkin pie to bring to the neighbors'.  It's a small gathering, so I only need to bring one pie, and the thought of making an entire batch of crust that will likely go unused is just a waste.  (And I am not a fan or store-bought crust!)  So here I am, trying out the crustless pumpkin pie.

1 can (15 oz.) pumpkin purée
1 can (12 oz.) evaporated milk
3 eggs
½ tsp. salt
3 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp. vanilla
2/3 cup powdered sugar

1. Combine all ingredients and beat until smooth.

2. Pour into a 9" sprayed pie pan.

3. Bake at 4oo° for 15 minutes, then at 325° for 2 hours, or until a knife is inserted in center and comes out clean.




What I liked about the crustless pie:
It's a whole lotta pumpkin and a lot easier to make when you don't have to roll out a crust!


The advantage of a crust-free pie:
Your calorie intake is significantly lower without the flaky bedding!


While I enjoyed this pie and it tasted almost as good as its crusted cousin, it just isn't the same without Grandma's special recipe for flaky goodness.  It was a big hit with our neighbor, Olivia, who isn't a fan of the crust to begin with.  I'm giving this 4 out of 5 pumpkins; although it is good, it doesn't quite live up to the original.

No comments:

Post a Comment