Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Pumpkin Soup

When we were living in Boston, everyone raved about the pumpkin soup at Au Bon Pain.  I honestly cannot remember if I had it or not.  But I LOVE my squash soup {www.feedingthelovelies.blogspot.com/2009/10/butternut-squash-pureed-soup.html}, so I figured it was worth giving this new recipe a try.  Thanks, Katie, for offering up the recipe.

1 Tbsp. olive oil
3 ½ cups yellow bell pepper, chopped (about 2 large)
1 ½ cup carrots, chopped (about 2 medium)
1 cup onion, chopped (about 1 medium)
½ tsp. Spanish smoked paprika
2 cloves garlic, chopped
5 cups chicken broth, divided
¼ tsp. black pepper
1 (15 oz.) pumpkin purée
2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
2 Tbsp. toasted pumpkin seeds
1 Tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped

1. Heat oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat.  Add bell pepper, carrots, and onion.  Cook 10 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.

2. Add paprika and garlic; sauté for 1 minute.  Add 3 cups broth and black pepper; bring to a boil.  Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.

3. Place vegetable mixture in blender (may have to do in portions).  Secure blender lid, and blend until smooth.

4. Return pureed vegetable mixture to pot.  Stir in remaining 2 cups of broth, and pumpkin.  Cook over low heat for 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring frequently.

5. Remove from heat, stir in juice.

Ladle into bowls, garnishing with fresh parsley and pumpkin seeds.  Yields 7 servings.




What I liked about this soup:
Pretty much nothing.  Maybe it was that I didn't use the special Spanish paprika.  Or maybe it is that I used paprika at all.  One thing is for sure, I won't be serving this up again.  However, if anyone has a recipe for a to-die-for pumpkin soup, I won't rule out giving it a whirl.

I'm giving it 1 out of 5 pumpkins.  Let's just say we ate it, consumed a lot of biscuits, but didn't keep any of the remains.

No comments:

Post a Comment