Saturday, April 24, 2010

Bruschetta

This recipe is courtesy of Reanna Robinson, whom I have known since the early days of elementary school. She offered up her prized concoction to assist in my quest for a delicious homemade bruschetta. I made this savory appetizer last night to accompany our homemade manicotti (yes, I was busy!) Let's just say even with my cup of morning coffee, I'm thinking about dishing up some bruschetta.

I've decided to add in Reanna's notes.... not only did I find them helpful, but the pop of personality put a smile on my face as I patiently worked my way to the end result.



Tomato Mixture

12 Roma tomatoes, chopped
1 Tbsp. minced garlic (I used more, love it!)
2 Tbsp. shallots, minced
1 cup fresh basil, chopped
1 tsp. fresh lemon juice (I used store bought)
salt & pepper to taste
1/3 cup EVOO (ya know, extra virgin olive oil)

Mix all ingredients together. Makes 8 cups. Tomato mixture tastes best when made ahead & refrigerated for about an hour.

Oil for Bread

1/4 cup EVOO
1 clove garlic, minced

Combine garlic with EVOO and brush onto cut surfaces of diagonal-sliced baguettes. Bake @ 400° for 8-10 minutes, then broil until golden brown (watch carefully so they do not burn), either in the oven or a toaster oven. Allow to cool.

Cream Cheese Mixture
(aka, the best part)

1 (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
3 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
1 clove garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. chopped olives, optional

Combine using an electric mixer.

Assemble Bruschetta

1. Spread delicious cream cheese mixture on cooled, baked baguettes.

2. Top with tomato mixture and serve.

Do not make too far in advance as bread gets soggy over time.

If you adamantly object to the cream cheese mixture, simply skip that step. I have no doubt it will be tasty even without it, I just haven't been able to say no to the cheesy garlic in the middle.

2 comments:

  1. YUm-O!!! Now I feel like I need to make it! It's so good. But anything with cream cheese is good! Did the girls (and Geoff) like it? I hope so!
    -Reanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. They all enjoyed it. Abby said, "I love this!" Lauren picked the tomatoes off and ate those first. Geoff wasn't fond of the cream cheese part, which is odd because the only dessert besides ice cream he really likes is cheese cake, so he just made his without. It is definately something I will make again.... I couldn't get enough tonite. Stuffed!

    ReplyDelete