Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Pumpkin Pancakes

I have to be honest.  I'm not one to change what works.  I like regular pancakes, I like blueberry pancakes, I wasn't sure how I would like pumpkin pancakes.  Before I could even sink my teeth into them, the girls had devoured half of theirs and declared, "I like them," with a thumbs up.  Well then, need I say more?

Thank you, LeeAnn, for this tasty twist on flapjacks!



2 cups flour
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 Tbsp. baking powder
½ tsp. cinnamon
¼ tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. salt
1-¾ cups milk
½ cup pumpkin purée
1 large egg
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil

1. Combine dry ingredients with a wire whisk.  Set aside.

2. In a large bowl, beat milk, pumpkin, egg, and oil.  Gradually add dry ingredients.  Mix only until wet.  Batter will be lumpy.

3. Heat griddle.  Brush with oil.  Make pancakes using ¼ cup batter.  Cook until top is bubbled and edges dry.  Flip and cook for another minute or so.

What I liked about these:
They're tasty pancakes.  Not too much pumpkin, but enough to give them Fall flavor.

What I didn't expect:
This recipe makes thick pancakes.  I like them thick, but if you prefer them thin, increase the amount of milk to 2 cups.

These would taste good with:
Nuts on top, walnuts or pecans.  Or spruce them up with chocolate chips or raisins.  They would even make great pigs-in-a-blanket with maple sausage links!

Next time I would:
Use pumpkin pie spice instead of the cinnamon and nutmeg.  I opted not to add ginger, but adding ¼ tsp. ginger may have given it a boost.  The recipe I had called for 1-¼ tsp. pumpkin pie spice, but since I am fresh out of that one, I had to rearrange my thinking.

I'm giving these pancakes 4 out of 5 pumpkins.  The recipe needs a little tweaking, but is destined to reach the 5 pumpkin mark!

No comments:

Post a Comment