Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Cream of Mushroom Soup

For reasons I do not understand, canned cream of any soup does not settle well with my children's stomachs. It is for this reason that I was forced into creating a homemade version. I've never eaten straight cream of mushroom soup, but this soup is good enough to eat that way; I mixed it in a pasta dish. Either way, it's delish.

1--4oz. can mushroom pieces, drained (and chopped if desired)
or 1/2 lb. mushrooms, chopped fine
3 Tbsp. butter
1/2 c. onion, minced well
1/8 tsp. celery seed
2 cups water
2 bouillon cubes
2 Tbsp. flour
one pint of fat free half & half
1 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper

Saute mushrooms in 1 Tbsp. butter for 5 minutes with onion & celery seed. Add water and dissolve bouillon cubes when water heats up.

Meanwhile, melt remaining 2 Tbsp. butter, add flour and brown. Add half and half, salt & pepper, and whisk until smooth.

Allow to thicken, then add the mushroom mixture. Heat and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment